W.I.L.L. - Women In Love with Life---> Effective June 30, 2010, W.I.L.L. is no longer an active group. All we have are memories and this blog. Life moves on. Ciao!
Friday, August 13, 2010
I need HELP with THE HELP
THE HELP is a Times best seller. The book jacket gives a glowing summary of the story. But I have a pet peeve about southern whites trying to write in southern Black dialect. It amuses me at first and then sickens me. As a gal from the Lone Star state, I am sensitive to this attempt at trying to make the black characters "real." But I can just imagine some Dixie crackers laughing at the "colored" characters in this book. Russ Limbaugh and Dr. Laura must enjoy this type of novel. It must be on the Neo-Nazi book club list. Seriously couldn't the author just tell her story without this insulting device? It demeans a whole generation of folk who were either denied a formal education or received an inferior one - pre-Brown. These were hard working folk who suffered daily humiliation at the hands of their inferiors. Guess I won't be finishing this book for the school book club.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment